Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Saints v. Vikings - Paul's Mix #1

I titled this mix “Saints v. Vikings” b/c that’s what was on TV when I was applying its finishing touches. Had I waited an hour, it would have been named “Heidi writes Lauren a letter.” It’s one long file, which may be a good thing as it might encourage you to listen to it in its entirety, and it will work nicely for a 45 minute run and a 3 minute cool down (suggestion: time the SY track for a long uphill climb).

Some brief thoughts: I’ve realized that the first half of the mix (minus the Black Hollies song) comes from some heavy hitters, and yes, I believe Sloan deserves to be in that company. Since their show at the Troubadour, I’ve been listening to their catalog almost exclusively and have immensely enjoyed it. To a certain extent, Sloan reminds me of the Old 97s, another band that would have been a Billboard magazine fixture had they been born two decades earlier.

Two Linda Ronstadt songs: no agenda, just two songs that I thought fit particularly well. To paraphrase and expand upon the old adage: I’d pay good money to hear her sing the phone book, much less these classics.

Two great bass songs: Lemmy’s bass sound on “I’ll Be Your Sister” is unlike any other I’ve ever heard – so think and impenetrable. Also, Bruce Thomas of the Attractions is becoming my go-to answer for favorite bass player ever, and you can hear why on “Opportunity.”

Hope you enjoy. Download the mix here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=700f8cff61dfd563d2db6fb9a8902bda

Tracklist

(1) I Think Up Demons – Roky Erickson & the Aliens
(2) Witches Wand – Sloan
(3) Happy – The Rolling Stones
(4) In the Street – Big Star
(5) I’ll Be Your Sister – Motorhead
(6) Paisley Pattern Ground – The Black Hollies
(7) Stones – Sonic Youth
(8) Cisza, Ja I Czas – Hey
(9) Speed of Light – Teenage Fanclub
(10) The Summer Sun – Chris Stamey and Yo La Tengo
(11) The Cigarette Girl from the Future – Beauty Pill
(12) Opportunity – Elvis Costello & the Attractions
(13) Rescue Me – Linda Ronstadt
(14) Anything Could Happen – The Clean
(15) Birds – Linda Ronstadt

6 comments:

Young Dan said...

I like this sharing of mixes idea. I use rapidshare. I do I upload a mix i've made. And say some of the files arent mp3's. What do I do? Shoot me an informative email. OR post directions on this here blog.

Daniel said...

www.mediafire.com

create a free account. zip all the files (mp3s or not) into one folder then upload that folder. post the link in this here blog.

Daniel said...

I love the mix. The only songs I can't really get into are the Yo La Tengo and Elvis Costello tracks.

Regarding the Sloan song: Anyone hear striking similarities in the melody to "Lola" by The Kinks? Not that it makes me like the Sloan song any less.

Paul said...

I'll probably do separate mp3s next mix, but I wanted to actually blend the songs this time around. Unfortunately, that results in one long track and sketchy fidelity (don't know if you noticed, but the lower frequencies on some of the tracks are clipping). Obviously, these mixes are not meant to be substitutes for purchased versions of the songs, but are a fair use sharing. Know this.

Thomas McMahon IV said...

Great stuff. So I think this is the first time I've heard Roky Erickson outside of the 13th Floor Elevators. He sounds way different. Did you hear about his El Rey show on Halloween? The Black Angels will be his band, and apparently they're going to do Elevators material.

Young Dan said...

Check out Roky Erikson's "The Wind and More" Its a great song. Impossible to perform, vocally, as my singer in A Nervous Splendor found out.