Friday, January 30, 2009

The Blue White Album

I was daydreaming a bit here, and thought about wasting some time "researching" what is currently my favorite Beatles Album. It really is all over the place both in song structure, as well as cohesiveness - but I think that's what makes it such a great record. It's pop-y, prett-y, kitsch-y, rock-y (no pun intended), and at times just fucking weird. Some of John's best work is on here (both as a Beatle and as a solo artist). It seems that his time spent with the Maharishi in India yielded some 20 or so songs - ranging from the very personal to the very cynical. Anyway, definitely waste some time of your own reading the extensive and comprehensive wiki page. It is both informative and stimulating.

Current Favorite Songs (these are forever changing and in no particular order of favorite)

John - Dear Prudence
Paul - Martha My Dear
George - Savoy Truffle (I never noticed the dental implications on this one)
Ringo - Yeah Right (Just Kidding!) How about - Good Night

Random Note: Apparently the very interesting story of the Blue White Album (pictured above) was created from cheeky opportunism. Fucking Brits.

9 comments:

Daniel said...

First Twitter, now you're blogging? I like it.

Thomas McMahon IV said...

Funny story about the blue White Album, especially the comment "EMI got a bit humpy about it."

I've never been really into the Beatles, but I admit that I've never listened to all of the White Album. One of these days ...

Paul said...

I remember getting the White Album for Christmas around the time I was in 5th grade. Unlike other Beatles albums, it was immediately mysterious - I didn't recognize the cover art from those LPs my parents had in their collection and the (long) tracklist didn't have any "hits." I remember my dad sort of reluctantly giving it to me, as if this Beatles album had always eluded him. Initially, my favorite song was "Yer Blues," and it remains one of my favorite recordings to this day (even if it's no longer one of my favorite songs on the record). This is geeky rock-crit talk, but that song felt (still feels) "dangerous."

I often couple the White Album with Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain because both albums significantly changed my expectations of rock bands and rock albums, albeit for different reasons.

Thom, it's long perplexed me how you are not into the Beatles. I've gotta think it goes back to some childhood trauma or something.

Thomas McMahon IV said...

You're right about the childhood trauma, Paul. I was molested by the song "Yellow Submarine."

Paul said...

I'm sorry, Thom. That's terrible. Had I known, I wouldn't have said anything.

Daniel said...

Thom, maybe you should try the band "The Better Beatles"

Thomas McMahon IV said...

Oh, yeah -- I got a couple of their tracks from WFMU's blog a while back: "Penny Lane" and "Eleanor Rigby." Definitely better.

Paul said...

Or these guys: www.myspace.com/theshtttybeatles

Chris said...

Wow, they really do suck